Friday, October 29, 2004

I Pledge Allegiance to....?

According to Josh Marshall (follow the link and scroll down a little) the President is now requiring anyone who attends his rallies to pledge their personel allegiance to him. Not to the United States, not to freedom, liberty or justice for all. To George W. Bush. I find this appalling, it absolutely undermines the ideas this great country was founded on. Let's get this straight Mr George W. Bush, I pledge allegiance to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I will not now or ever pledge allegiance to any one person! I am a free human being, a citizen of the United States of America and I will like hell put your interests above those of this country. Quite frankly, the whole idea strikes me as treason. I will pledge allegiance to freedom, to democracy, to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I will pledge allegiance to reason, to the best the human spirit has to offer, to love, to a genuine passion to help alleviate human suffering and to defending this great country of ours. I will not, Mr. Bush, pledge allegiance to someone who substitutes ideology for rational thought, who thinks they are more important than the interests of our country, who would sacrifice over 200 years of a grand and noble tradition, the likes of which have been a beacon of hope in a cold and fearing world. I will not pledge allegiance to a man who would rather have a personality cult than lead through the greatness of his ideas....