Monday, November 29, 2004

Movie Review: Van Helsing

Although, I like Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale, I was disappointed in this movie. The plot was okay, but I really didn't like the varios werewolves, Frankenstein's Monster and Mr. Hyde(which was the exact same as in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I don't think the CGI blended in very well with the live actors. The makers of this movie would have been better off to go either with all live action or all CGI.
Another qualm is that this title character, Van Helsing, bore more than a passing resemblance to the Character "D" the title character in "Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust" right down to the outfit.
On the plus side Kate Bekinsale and Hugh Jackman turned in good performances. Richard Roxburgh turned in a quirky performance as Dracula. When asked if he has a heart Roxburgh replies, eventually, "No, I'm hollow". I also liked the referances to earlier Universal Studios horror movies. Dracula: "Igor, why must you torment that creature so?
Igor: "It's what I do!
Overall, the movie is worth seeing, but don't expect too much.