Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Sailing

Finally, some pictures from my recent sailing trip!
This is my San Juan 21. We keep them on their trailers then when we want to go sailing we use a hoist to put them in the water.

On Shore Posted by Picasa


This isn't a very good picture. The bird you can barely see is very interesting. last year a pair of them made a nest on the pontoon boat the racing committee uses. Apparently the fact that the boat moved all over the lake didn't bother them. When it was out on the lake the fly out and find it. A great example of animals adapting to changed environments.

The Bird Posted by Picasa


The winds were strong with occasional gusts.

Really Flying Posted by Picasa


As you can see from the wake we were really moving. Which created some conflict. My daughters were a little concered and were holloring at me to slow down. For those of you unacquainted with sailing when you go fast you are also heeled over so there is an upside and a downside on the boat. People on the downside are really, really close to the water (guess who that would have been, hehe).

Really Flying II Posted by Picasa


My wife, on the other hand, likes to sail fast and was holloring at me to go faster.

Me Posted by Picasa


Me? I didn't care. I was to busy enjoying the beauty:

Beautiful Posted by Picasa


of Nature:

Heaven Posted by Picasa


While on our trip we also saw a ground hog (which sat up as we were taking this picture. I also snapped a picture of a deer running parallel to our care and about 7 feet away but it didn't turn out (I think because it was dusk so there was not enough light - even with a flash).

Groundhog Posted by Picasa


Anyway I had some pictures left over so I took some of my cats. I don't get that many feline visitors to my blog so I thought I'd post these in an effort to pander to them.
This is Pounce. He's a wild ferrocious jungle kitty that likes to get out and roam the neighborhood. I'm a bit surprised really. He's not that big. There are much bigger cats hanging around my neighborhood, but he never seems to come home with any evidence of being in fights. He's either really mean or runs really quick!
Pounce Posted by Picasa


This is Little Foot. He is, umm, not very bright. He was rolling around acting silly on one of the steps one day and got one of his paws caught in his collar - rolled down half a flight of steps before I caught him and got his paw untangled. Mrs. afarensis thinks he's a dog trapped in a cats body because of stuff like that. Life really seems to have him bewildered.

Little Foot Posted by Picasa